Ingredients for preparing Pavakkai Sambar
- Pavakkai (Bitter gourd) – 2
- Kujulli (Shallots) – 1 cup
- Thakkali (Tomato) – 1
- Sambar Parippu ( Toor dal) – 1 cup
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Puli (Tamarind) – gooseberry sized ball
- Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds powder – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida powder – A pinch
- Coconut oil – As needed
- Mustard seeds
- Dry red chilli – 2
- Curry leaves
- Salt as needed
Steps for preparing Pavakkai Sambar
- Thoroughly wash toor dal and soak in water for 15 minutes. Pressure cook dal with turmeric powder and curry leaves.
- Heat a pan pour little oil, add chopped shallots and fry for a while, then add chopped bitter gourd. Stir them for 4- 5 minutes and finally add chopped tomato. Close the pan and allow it to cook in low flame.
- Roast grated coconut with curry leaves till it becomes brown, then keep the flame in medium. Add red chilli powder, coriander powder and grind this to fine paste.
- When bitter gourd is cooked mix it with dal, boil it for 5 minutes. Add tamarind juice, salt as needed, asafoetida powder and fenugreek seeds powder.
- Finally add the coconut mixture boil it with low flame till the gravy thickens.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and allow it to crack, add dry red chillies and curry leaves. Pour it to the sambar.
Share This Article