1. Mixed Vegetables – 1½cup (cut into medium pieces)
- Brinjal (Vazhuthananga)
- Drumstic (Muringakka)
- Ladys Finger –( Vendakka)
- Cucumber (Vellarikka )
- Ash Gourd – (Kumbalanga)
- ·Potato (Uralakizhangu)
- Tomato (Thakkali)
- Onion (Savala)
- Shallots (Ulli)
- Green chillies (Pacha mulaku)
2. Toor Dal (Sambar Parippu) – 1 Cup
3. Tamarind (Puli) – one small ball
4. Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
5. Asafoetida (Kayam) – a pinch
6. Mustard seed – 1 tsp
7. Dry red chillies – 3 (cut into small pieces)
8. Curry leaves
9. Coriander Leaves – A few
10. Salt – As requires
11. Coconut Oil – 4 Tbsp
12. Sambar masala powder – 2 tsp
13. Coriander powder – 2 tsp
14.Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Steps for preparing Sambar without Coconut
- Wash the dal thoroughly and cook it with beans, brinjal, potaro, drumstick, cucumber and ash gourd in a pressure cooker by adding enough water, salt and turmeric powder for 2 whistles.
- Heat one table spoon oil in a frying pan; throw the onion, chopped ladies finger, Shallots followed by tomato and sauté till it become soft. Cook covered on low flame until the vegetables are done.
- In between soak tamarind in warm water and then extract the juice from it.
- Now add the tamarind juice to cooked dal vegetable mixtures; stir and cook on low flame for some more time, adjust the salt level.
- When the vegetables are cooked add the sauteed shallots- ladies finger mixture to the dal and mix well. Sprinkle asafoetida powder and bring to boil.
- Mix in the sambar powder, coriander powder and chilli powder and sauté for couple of minutes on low flame.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds and allow it to splutter, throw the dried red chillies and half of the curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Pour this seasoning to the sambar sambar mix well for a few minutes. Remove from flame and sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and remaining curry leaves.
- Mix the curry well before serving.
Share This Article