Ingredients for preparing Ulli Sambar
- Shallots (Ulli) - 1 cup
- Tomatoes – 1
- Green chillies (Pacha mulaku) – 2 to 3
- Toor Dal (Sambar Parippu) - ½ cup
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
- Tamarind /Puli – gooseberry sized ball
- Asafoetida (Kayam) – A pinch
- Fenugreek seeds powder - 1 tsp
- Coconut Oil – As needed
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Dry Whole Red Chillies – 3
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Chopped Coriander Leaves – 2 tsp
- Water as needed
- Salt to taste
Steps for preparing Ulli (Shallot) Sambar
- Wash thoroughly Sambar Parippu (Toor dal) and soak in water for 15 minutes. Then pressure cook the dal with turmeric powder and curry leaves.
- Heat oil in a pan, add ulli, tomato, green chillies and curry leaves. Sauté for 5 minutes, close the pan. Keep it in medium flame for a while.
- Then add red chilli powder and coriander powder, stir for a while. Remove from the flame and set aside.
- Mix the cooked dal with the fried vegetables, add tamarind juice, salt, a pinch Asafoetida powder and Fenugreek seeds powder and boil it.
- Then heat oil in a pan and allow mustard seed to splutter. Add dry red chilli and curry leaves and pour it to the sambar. Boil for few minutes in low flame and stir well. Add chopped coriander leaves.
Note: you can use chilli powder to your tolerance level.
Share This Article