Ingredients for preparing Sambar for Idli
- Toor Dal – 1 cup
- Onion – 2 nos.
- Tomato – 4 nos.
- Green Chillies – 2 nos.
- Carrot (chopped) – 1 cup
- Ladies Finger – 1 cup
- Beans (chopped) – 1 cup
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida Powder – 1 tsp
- Tamarind Paste – 4 tbsp
- 1 inch Jaggery Cube – 2 nos.
- Curry Leaves – 2 stalks
- Sambar Powder – 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
Steps to prepare Sambar for idli
- Rinse the dal well and then add them to the pressure cooker.
- Cook the dal with salt, turmeric powder and 2 cups water till they are well cooked. Once the pressure settles down, remove the lid and mash the dal gently with a wooden spatula.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan; add mustard seeds. When they splutter add cumin seeds, asafoetida powder and curry leaves. Saute the spices till they turn aromatic.
- Cut onion straight. Now fry it. Once they turn golden brown, add chopped tomato and fry.
- Then add all chopped vegetables. Add sufficient water and let it boil for 10-15 minutes.
- Now mix the dal and sambar powder. Stir properly.
- Mix tamarind paste and jaggery and let it boil for 15 minutes. Add salt to taste and give a quick stir.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Ingredients for preparing Idli
- Rice – 2 Cup
- Urad Dal / Black Gram dal – 1 Cup
- Baking Soda – A pinch
- Salt –1 Tbsp
Steps for preparing Idli
- Soak rice and urad dal for 6-8 hrs. Mix and grind coarsely.
- Add baking soda and leave the batter for 4-6 hrs for fermentation. Add salt and mix properly into the form of batter.
- Grease the idli holder or tray and fill each of them with required quantity of idli batter.
- Let it get steamed for 20 minutes in low flame. Do not open the cooker immediately,
- open after some time. Carefully take off the idlies from the tray and serve hot with sambar.